Floyd County Veterans Memorial
Charles City, IA
Located on the grounds of the Iowa’s Floyd County Courthouse is a memorial with over 2,000 engraved names of living or deceased Veterans that have a direct connection to the county. Floyd County was named after Sergeant Charles Floyd who was the only member to die on the Lewis and Clark Expedition in the 1800’s. An on-site guide lists names alphabetically and locates which of the 14 granite pillars the names are etched in. Engravings of war ships, tanks helicopters and guns and the branches of service are also displayed on granite monuments. This tribute was financed mainly from donations from Veterans or families, area individuals or businesses.
The town of Charles City has had its share of disasters. In 1968 an F5 tornado blew through the downtown area destroying 256 businesses and over 1,000 homes with damages of $20 million (comparable to $153M today*). 13 people lost their lives, and hundreds were injured.
This memorial was completed in May of 2008. A month later, the “500-year flood” destroyed many homes and businesses after the Cedar River swelled its’ banks. The flood also caused the cities’ large suspension bridge to collapse. Charles City rebuilt its’ town including the bridge and is now a thriving commercial and transportation center with more than 7,300 people and 530 businesses.
To view an alphabetical list of Veterans that died while serving and engraved name locator:
Stone Group Architects (SGA) is a proud supporter of our Veterans and Military Memorials. While we are strong supporters, SGA is independent from the memorials and does not claim responsibility of building or funding these memorials. SGA is a verified Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small business (SDVOSB) architectural firm, providing planning and design services to a variety of government clients.