MOODY COUNTY COURTHOUSE & VETERANS MEMORIAL
Built in 1915, the Moody County Courthouse hosts the Veterans Memorial on its grounds. This was dedicated to the Veterans of this county who served to keep our country free. Seals of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard and Merchant Marines are engraved into the large granite monument. Granite benches engraved with the Prisoners of War and the Missing in Action symbols honor those men and women. At this memorial is a time capsule that was buried in 1989 and will be opened in 2024.
The City of Flandreau was named after Attorney Charles Eugene Flandrau. In 1862, Flandrau learned of a violent uprising of the of the government against the Dakota people. This uprising would result in the failure of goods and payments to be delivered, causing the Dakota people to starve. Flandrau enlisted in the Union Army and coordinated armed forces coming to their defense. Because of his efforts, the city and city park is named in honor of his legacy.
Stone Group Architects (SGA) is a proud supporter of our Veterans and Military Memorials. While we are strong supporters, SGA is independent from the memorials and does not claim responsibility of building or funding these memorials. SGA is a verified Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small business (SDVOSB) architectural firm, providing planning and design services to a variety of government clients.