TRIPP COUNTY VETERANS MEMORIAL
WINNER, SD

This memorial, located in front of the Tripp County Courthouse, in Winner, SD honors all Veterans from this county. An engraved plaque honors the 550 men of the county who answered the call of duty in WWI and in memory of the scores of men that sacrificed their lives. The bronze sculpture, erected in 1924, was created by artist John Paulding. It is of 145 of the mass-produced memorials in the nation that represent a WWI soldier caring a rifle with a raised arm, leading in charge. These WWI soldiers were labeled “doughboys.” Legend has it, that term stuck after the soldiers became smeared with clay rich dust, appearing like they were covered in flour, as they travelled by foot across Mexico. The term derived from being called “adobes” which gradually transitioned into the name “doughboys.” Also on site are large, engraved plaques list the names of Tripp County Veterans who served in in the military from 1840 to the present, in ten-year intervals. The beautiful memorial also includes large, framed copies of the Bill of Rights and the United States Constitution as well as memorial benches. This site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2009.

Stone Group Architects (SGA) is a proud supporter of our Veterans and Military Memorials. While we are strong supporters, SGA is independent from the memorials and does not claim responsibility of building or funding these memorials. SGA is a verified Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small business (SDVOSB) architectural firm, providing planning and design services to a variety of government clients.